Friday, August 10, 2007

Anadiplosis

Once again, the production list did not change so I have nothing new to report. For some reason, I’m not as bothered by the lack of progress this week as I usually am. There could be several reasons for this:

A) I’ve come to expect no change since the list has been stagnant for so long.
B) Or, our condo is filled with family including my nine-month-old grandson and my granddog (a four-year-old whippet) so I’m having too much fun to care.
C) Or, since our condo is filled with family, Kim and I are staying in our travel trailer at the Red Coconut RV Park on Fort Myers Beach and it’s impossible to be stressed or cranky after therapeutic walks on the beach.

Most likely, it’s all of the above.

In the meantime, I keep editing the manuscript. I want it to be as perfect as possible once it does hit the desk of an Archebooks editor. Ruben Colon, a fellow writer I met through the Gulf Coast Writer’s Association, has been helping me by going through the manuscript chapter by chapter. I owe him big time. He’s taught me so much (some of which I should have learned in school had I been paying attention). He’s good at noticing the little details, such as someone can’t meander through tables as I’d written, but can meander around them. Duh—I knew that!

In this week’s email concerning the latest chapter from The Ride, he said, “I like the use of anadiplosis in this paragraph.”

I hoped that was a compliment.

My family was sitting around with me so I asked, “Can anyone tell me what anadiplosis means?” Their responses ranged from blank stares to shrugs, forcing me to lookup the word.

Anadiplosis means, according to the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, repetition in the first part of a clause or sentence of a prominent word from the latter part of the preceding clause or sentence, usually with a change or extension of meaning.

I was flattered that I actually wrote something that was considered an anadiplosis. I just wish I could say it was intentional.

So maybe, my manuscript not going into production yet is a good thing. At least until Ruben has a chance to wade through (not around) the last few chapters.

Thanks for stopping by. See you next week.


Jane Kennedy Sutton
Author of The Ride (to be released by ArcheBooks Publishing)
janekennedysutton@gmail.com
http://janekennedysutton.googlepages.com/


Tags: The Ride, Archebooks, Ruben Colon, Red Coconut, Fort Myers Beach, Gulf Coast Writers, anadiplosis

No comments:

Jane's Ride - Novelist Jane Kennedy Sutton's journey through the ups and downs of the writing, publishing and marketing world