Thursday, March 13, 2008

Celebrations

The next step for a manuscript (MSS) after editing is the galleys (prototype of the book to show how it will look when printed). Because changes are easier before formatting galleys, my editor, Vickie, asked if I’d like to go through The Ride one more time. I groaned and said, “I don’t really want to, but I probably should.”

Tweaking, I’ve discovered, is like a compulsive disorder and once started, there’s no stopping. I don’t know that my minor modifications actually make the story any better; I just know that I had to make them. When I sent the changes back to Vickie, I asked if she thought it was possible read a manuscript without tweaking something. Her reply was, and I quote, “It is physically impossible to Not make changes to a MSS. Well, you might be able to do it, but it will cause hives. ;-)”

Now, I’m back in the relax mode and ready to celebrate. According to the 2008 Chase’s Calendar of Events, March is a great time to do just that because it is:
International Mirth Month - to encourage more mirthful moments
National On-Hold Month - to recognize everyone who has been placed “on-hold” and the businesses that make that time more enjoyable
Optimism Month – to encourage people to boost their optimism
International Expect Success Month – to make good things happen, you must work like there is no other option.
National Umbrella Month – dedicated to the use of, purchase of and conversations about umbrellas
Irish-American Heritage Month –declared by a Presidential Proclamation and how appropriate since March 17th is St. Patrick’s Day.
Small Press Month – honoring independent publishers for publishing unknown authors

So pop the cork on a champagne bottle, go out for an expensive dinner or treat yourself special in whatever way makes you happy, because, regardless of the day, there is obviously something to celebrate.

I am quite excited about it being Small Press Month, so I am going to treat myself to an extra large slice of key lime pie. How will you be celebrating this month?

Thanks for stopping by. Hope to see you next week.

Jane Kennedy Sutton
Author of The Ride (to be released by ArcheBooks Publishing)
janekennedysutton@gmail.com
http://janekennedysutton.googlepages.com/
http://www.authorsden.com/janesutton

Tags: The Ride, ArcheBooks, galleys, Chase’s Calendar of Events, Mirth Month, Optimism Month, Expect Success Month, Umbrella Month, : Irish-American Heritage Month, Small Press Month

No comments:

Jane's Ride - Novelist Jane Kennedy Sutton's journey through the ups and downs of the writing, publishing and marketing world