Thursday, April 17, 2008

Update

I’m back! The past three weeks have been a roller coaster ride—but nothing to do with my book, The Ride.

Hospitals and rehab centers have been the focus of my attention during my 87 year-old mother’s road to recovery from numerous medical problems. At the same time, Arkansas was deluged with rain and storms. A tornado stuck within a mile from their home, where my husband, sister, and I were staying. We were without power for about eight hours. More tornado sirens sounded a couple of days later, but fortunately none touched down. We also moved my parents and 91 year-old uncle to a retirement home – not an easy thing to do with one person in the hospital and her 89 year-old husband too worried to help with any of the planning a move requires.

That is my excuse for not blogging.

Now for news about The Ride. I decided I wanted to have a copy-editor go over the manuscript, even though it may delay my release date. My Archebooks editor, Vickie, concentrated more on content.

I used a friend that I met through the Gulf Coast Writers Association, Martha Jeffers, also known as the Grammar Granny. I’m so glad I made this decision. She has a terrific knowledge of English usage and noticed the smallest of details. I’ll forever be indebted to her.

I was stunned by the number of mistakes that Vickie and I missed. I’m embarrassed by some of my grammatical errors (such as always using towards instead of toward) and simple punctuation mistakes (comma splices). In my next life, I’m going to pay attention in English class!

I hope I’ll be finished making the corrections in the next day or two. But in the process of fixing one mistake, I may have made others. If you find a goof when you read the novel, I take full responsibility.

Also, I want you to know that I have not forgotten about the publication date contest. Those of you that sent entries for May through July are still in the running.

Thank you all for stopping by. I look forward to seeing you next week.

Jane Kennedy Sutton
Author of The Ride (to be released by ArcheBooks Publishing)
janekennedysutton@gmail.com
http://janekennedysutton.googlepages.com/
http://www.authorsden.com/janesutton

Tags: The Ride, Archebooks, Martha Jeffers, Grammar Granny, Gulf Coast Writers Association

1 comment:

Sandy Lender said...

Jane,
I'm pleased to hear you took the extra time and energy to do a proofreading on the galleys of The Ride. I'm dying to read it!

I'm also praying for all to be well in your family. Be safe traveling and take care of yourself, too!

Sandy Lender
"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."

Jane's Ride - Novelist Jane Kennedy Sutton's journey through the ups and downs of the writing, publishing and marketing world