Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Radio Interviews

“All the great speakers were bad speakers at first.” - Emerson

This quote gives me hope. So far, I’ve been disappointed with all of my three radio interviews. I think of such great things to say once I hang up. During my interview with Bulldog on the Rude Awakening Show, I couldn’t even think of the word ‘compound’ when talking about our life in Saudi Arabia. If only I could call, “Overs.”

I recently had the opportunity to listen to the radio interview I did last Wednesday, (from my hotel room in Vegas) with James Lowe on KJAG. My first impression was, “Who IS that?”

I am quite sure that if I hadn’t known it was me, I would never have recognized my voice. I sound so different to my own ears than I do on tape. I hear it’s a common experience. I like my non-tape sounding voice better. It seems deeper and less squeaky to me. According to an article on Tech Republic, we all sound better to ourselves than we do to others because of the extra resonance provided by the empty spaces in our head. Uh-oh. Does this mean the emptier our heads the better we sound to ourselves?

The good part about hearing the interview was that I did stumble but not as often as I thought I had. The bad part was that I thought my answers could have been so much better. I find it is difficult to be clever or cute when the spotlight is on me and I'm trying to stick to the facts.

I debated on whether or not to ‘air’ this James Lowe session on my blog. I decided the only way to improve was to put myself out there. And, there’s not much point in doing interviews if I’m worried that someone might actually hear them! So for those of you who have a few extra minutes and would like to critique the interview with James Lowe on KJAG. I’m really interested in what you have to say about it.

If you had the opportunity to interview an author, what questions would you ask?

And for those of you that are wondering about my trip to Vegas, I once again I was more of a contributor than a collector. It was a fabulous trip anyway because I spent time with the greatest friends anyone could ask for. Thank you, Barb, Donna, Jim and Katy for lugging your copies of The Ride all the way out there just to have me sign them! How special is that!

Thanks for stopping by.

Tags: The Ride, Emerson, Rude Awakening Show , James Lowe, KJAG, techrepublic, interviews,

No comments:

Jane's Ride - Novelist Jane Kennedy Sutton's journey through the ups and downs of the writing, publishing and marketing world