Monday, February 9, 2009

The Language of Twitter

“It’s all about being accessible and friendly.” – The Telegraph

Last month I participated in the blog-a-day challenge through the Blog Book Tours Forum in an effort to improve my posts, frequency of blogging, and the looks of my blog page. This month the forum is focusing on social media sites and for the past week Twitter has been the focal point of our attention.

I’ve had a Twitter account for a few months but could never quite figure out the inner workings. Thanks to the forum, I understand it a little better. Hopefully, with more practice I’ll develop the expertise to Tweet like a pro or at least no longer be a Tweetard (a twitter retard).

To learn more about Twitter, I visited Site Masher where I discovered I have a whole new language to master before I can even dream about rising from amateur to expert. Visit the site for the entire list which includes shorthand, tools and terms. Here are a few of my favorite terms:

Dweet –Tweet sent while drunk
Mistweet –A message or 'Tweet' that was sent in error or one later regrets.
Twadd –To add someone as a friend - mutual followers.
Twaigslist –To sell something via twitter. Also Twebay
Twaiting –Twittering while waiting
Tweekend –Spending your entire Saturday and Sunday reading and posting via Twitter. Tweepish –Feeling sheepish or regretful about something you tweeted.
Tweetaholism –The continued use of Twitter as an addiction that is difficult to control Tweeterboxes –Twitterers who tweet too much
Twhiner – A twitterer who only ever posts whiney, negative tweets
Twisticuffs – Fighting with a fellow twitterer over twitter.
Twittcrastination - Twittering as a form of procrastination
Twitterati –The glamorous A-List twitterer's everyone wants to follow.
Twitterfly –Being a social butterfly on Twitter evidenced by extreme usage of @ signs. Twitterish - Erratic behavior with short outbursts.
Twitteritas –Women who play with their twitters.
Twitter-Light Zone –Where you are when you return to Twitter after any time away and feel disoriented and lost.
Twitterlooing - Twittering from a bathroom.
Twitterphoria –The elation you feel when the person you’ve added as a friend adds you back.
Twitterrhea –The act of sending too many Twitter messages.
Twittfeinated, Twigged Out, Twired –To be so hyped up on twittering that you cannot sleep
Twittfessional –A confession made on Twitter
Twittsomnia –Twittering due to inability to sleep, thus compounding inability to sleep.
Twopsies –When you drop things because you are twittering.

To follow me on Twitter click here.

How do you feel about Twittering? Do have any advice for a novice tweeter? Do you have a favorite Twitter terms?

Thanks for stopping by.

Tags: The Telegraph, Twitter, Blog Book Tours, Diringer, alphabet,

5 comments:

Morgan Mandel said...

A lot of things I do are on that list, but I had no idea there was a specific name for them. Scary that so many others do it a name was invented.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Wow what a comprehensive Twitter List! Twitter is a HUGE tool for effective networking. My blog traffic jumped by a quantum leap once I learned how to use it effectively. You can't let it consume all your time, but sending out update 3X a day works for me, and also remember to send out tweets that contain useful info for others at least twice as often as you tweet about yourself. Twits will start ignoring you if you are just advertising yourself all the time.

cindysloveofbooks said...

Jane I am new to twitter too. Thanks for the lingo. Something I have to look more into now.

BTW i tagged you in a happy meme on my blog.

Nancy J. Parra said...

Jane- I found this post wonderously funny! Thanks for sharing... guess I should join twitter.

Anonymous said...

I love Twitter even if I'm not proabably not using it to its full potential. I tend to send 2-3 posts max during the day, spaced out. I tend to get annoyed when folks send tweet after tweet about the same thing all day long.

I'm following you now! My Twitter is: http://www.twitter.com/cerodriguez. I also use one to post cocktail recipes: http://www.twitter.com/mixologist.

Jane's Ride - Novelist Jane Kennedy Sutton's journey through the ups and downs of the writing, publishing and marketing world