Monday, November 2, 2009

National Authors’ Day

"The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate." - Oprah Winfrey

Sometimes I feel like I must live under a rock. I had no clue that November 1 was National Authors’ Day! What? You didn’t know either?

I didn’t dream up this holiday. I ran across it while thumbing through my 2008 edition of Chase’s Calendar of Events. National Authors’ Day was adopted by the General Federation of Women’s Clubs in 1929. In 1949 the US Department of Commerce awarded the observance a place on its list of special days, making it official.

The resolution states:
“by celebrating an Authors’ Day as a nation, we would not only show patriotism, loyalty, and appreciation of the men and women who have made American literature possible, but would also encourage and inspire others to give of themselves in making a better America…”

Yet, not once have I received a Happy Authors’ Day or a Thank You, Author card. What’s going on with this? I was under the impression that Hallmark had cards for all occasions. How has this very auspicious day been allowed to slip under the radar?

My web search turned up little. I clicked on the site for my local library; the events page was blank. I checked the calendar of events for Fort Myers and one for the News Press, and still no mention of National Authors’ Day.

I bet the original founders of this very special day would be quite upset to know November 1 slips by unnoticed by most everyone—including authors.

It’s not too late to hold a belated celebration this year. Folks could take an author to lunch or dinner. That’s always a nice gesture. However, I think the best way to show support of National Authors’ Day is for everyone to buy a book (or two, or three), particularly books written by lesser known authors. Hmmm…let me think…The Ride sounds like an ideal selection!

Now that I’ve crawled out from under that rock, I’m off to Las Vegas. Thanks for stopping by.

Tags: Oprah, National Authors Day, Chase’s Calendar of Events, Hallmark, Las Vegas, The Ride, News Press,

13 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Jane, I didn't know either! No local mention here, so it slipped by our media as well. How sad! I will mark it for next year, though.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Who knew!

I didn't get any cards, either. :( Pooh.

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Joanne said...

Definitely raising my coffee cup to you in an Author's Day toast ... Happy writing :)

Billy the Writer said...

On my calendar now....thanks for the heads up!

Jen said...

I had no idea there was a National Author's Day. Hmmm, I'll have to promote it next year.

I have seen you on several blogs that I follow and decided I should pop over and say hello :) Hope all is well! Have fun in Vegas.

Jen
http://jstanton-chandler.blogspot.com

Joy said...

This is a new one to me Jane. I am a day late but...Happy National Author's Day to you!

Joy Delgado

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

Thanks for your comments, Diane, Elizabeth, Joanne, Billy and Jen. Glad to know I wasn't the only one who'd never heard of National Authors' Day.

And, Jen - I'm so glad you decided to stop by to say hello.

Carol Kilgore said...

I had no idea either, but since now I do . . . Happy Authors' Day!

Have fun in Las Vegas.

The Old Silly said...

Nat'l Author's Day went by and I got no gifts, no flowers, no cards, nobody took me out to dinner or nothing? Not even so much as a surprise extra bonus royalty check in the mail? This is an outrage!

Marvin D Wilson

Elspeth Futcher said...

No idea. Of course, it's an American holiday. I'm amazed Hallmark doesn't have a special card; you'd think their writers would have insisted on it.

Elspeth

joe doaks-Author said...

National Authors' day, eh? Hmmm. Well, no, I didn't realize that. Along with rejection, self doubt, blank stares into a blank computer screen, and mammoth insecurity, I’m not sure what there’d be to celebrate. Still, it’s good to know I’ve helped to make, “American literature possible.” Finally, I found the link between me, Hawthorne, Twain and Faulkner—the lightweights.

Best Regards, Galen.
Imagineering Fiction Blog

Morgan Mandel said...

Darn, I missed it! Well, Now I'll have to wait until next year to celebrate.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com
http://makeminemystery.blogspot.com

Enid Wilson said...

Oprah's quote was very good. I feel blue today and it's good to read some uplifting words.

Bargain with the Devil

Jane's Ride - Novelist Jane Kennedy Sutton's journey through the ups and downs of the writing, publishing and marketing world