Friday, September 21, 2007

Going Red

It’s finally happened—I’ve gone ‘red.’ That means The Ride has officially entered the production process.

My reaction, when I saw my information in red on Tuesday, was not the one I expected. I thought I’d be ecstatic—like when I signed the publishing contract with ArcheBooks http://archebooks.com/. And, although I am excited, my initial and strongest reaction as I stared at the red print was fear.

This fear was best expressed by Sandy Lender, author Choices Meant for Gods, during my interview with her when she said, …“Seriously, once I saw that the book was in editing and things were moving along, I waited for some bizarre phone call saying, ‘Oh, Sandy, you need to rewrite it all and, by the way, you suck.’” (For the complete interview go to my July 20th blog http://janekennedysutton.blogspot.com/2007/07/interview-with-sandy-lender.html)

The logical side of me realizes it’s a silly concern because I know I would never have received a contract if that were the case. But, like the idea of a monster under the bed to a child, it’s not that easy to shake off.

Of course, I am hoping the manuscript won’t require major rewrites but I am not naïve enough to believe it’ll sail across an editor’s desk with no changes at all. The best I can hope for is that it falls somewhere in between the two.

So for the following week or two or three or more, you can find me pacing and trying not to develop the nail biting habit as I wait to hear from my editor, Vickie.

If you have any editing horror or happy stories to share, I’d love to hear from you.

Thanks for stopping by. See you next week.

Jane Kennedy Sutton
Author of The Ride (to be released by ArcheBooks Publishing)
janekennedysutton@gmail.com
http://janekennedysutton.googlepages.com/


Tags: The Ride, Archebooks, Sandy Lender, Choices Meant for Gods, editing

No comments:

Jane's Ride - Novelist Jane Kennedy Sutton's journey through the ups and downs of the writing, publishing and marketing world