Friday, September 14, 2007

Writer’s Block

It’s three-weeks now that The Ride has been next in line on the ArcheBooks production list and it’s making me nervous; actually, it’s making me crazy. I know I said I wasn’t going to obsess about it—I was going to go on with my life and just let it happen when it happens. That was easy to say, but not so easy to do.

I tried to go on. I really did. But, I guess I’m the type that likes to have one project neatly wrapped up and taken care of before immersing myself in another.

It was easier to think about other projects when there were manuscripts ahead of mine, but now for some reason, I can’t stand just dangling with my toe so close to the edge. “Move,” I scream silently in the mornings when I check the status. “Move!” I scream silently again in the evenings. Silent screams do not help. Maybe I should be more vocal!

I think my frustration is causing writer’s block. I sit down at the computer, ready to work, but nothing flows. It’s painful. I couldn’t even come up with a topic to blog about until Kim mentioned writing on writer’s block. How obvious. Why didn’t I think of that?

I was skimming through Stephen King’s book, On Writing, hoping for some inspiration. I don’t know about the inspiration part but I did read something that made me laugh. It also helped me to realize that all writers must suffer an occasional block sometime during their career.

It’s about James Joyce and King does mention that it is probably more myth than truth, but it is still a good story. King writes:

“According to the story, a friend came to visit him one day and found him sprawled across his writing desk in a posture of utter despair.

“‘James, what’s wrong?’ the friend asked. ‘Is it the work?’

“Joyce indicated assent without even raising his head to look at the friend. Of course it was the work; isn’t it always?

“‘How many words did you get today?’ the friend pursued.

“Joyce (still in despair, still sprawled facedown on his desk): ‘Seven.’

“‘Seven? But James…that’s good, at least for you!’

“‘Yes,’ Joyce said, finally looking up. ‘I suppose it is…but I don’t know what order they go in.’”

Have any of you suffered from writer’s block? If so, what did you do to relieve it? I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks for stopping by. Hope to see you next week.

Jane Kennedy Sutton
Author of The Ride (to be released by ArcheBooks Publishing)
janekennedysutton@gmail.com
http://janekennedysutton.googlepages.com/


Tags: The Ride, Archebooks, Stephen King, On Writing, writer’s block, James Joyce

No comments:

Jane's Ride - Novelist Jane Kennedy Sutton's journey through the ups and downs of the writing, publishing and marketing world