Friday, December 7, 2007

Modern Technology

In my June 8th blog, (http://janekennedysutton.blogspot.com/2007/06/question-will-books-as-we-know-them-be.html), I asked, “Will books, as we know them, be extinct one day?” I never dreamed that ‘one day’ would happen so soon.

Later that same month, ArcheBooks came out with their first mBook , A Prophecy Forgotten, by Michelle Weston , (http://archebooks.com/mbooks.htm). An mBook is one that can be downloaded to an MP3 player for your listening pleasure, much like your favorite song.

Now Amazon has come out with the Kindle, which allows you to download and read books, newspapers, and blogs on a handheld device that is smaller than most books.

I can understand listening to a book during road trips or while exercising but I’m not sure I can see the point of reading one on a small screen. Obviously, however, many people differ with my opinion as the product sold out quickly. I noticed the reviews run from one to five stars. My guess is the one-star ratings come from lovers of old-fashioned books with pages of paper.

Keep in mind, I am the person who over twenty years ago, while living in Taiwan, asked, “What do we need one of those for?” referring to the Apple-like copy of a computer my husband bought home from work one day. Within a week, I couldn’t imagine how I’d ever written a letter in longhand.

I even avoided using a cordless phone for years. With the cord, I felt somehow attached to whoever was on the other end. Now, as I wander all over the house talking on a cordless phone, I can’t imagine being tied down to one spot.

I balked at the very idea of email and now it’s like a lifeline.

In other words, I seem to have a technology phobia. I am unable to adjust to new technology quickly or without a lot of whining. Fortunately, my husband is the complete opposite and forces me to keep somewhat in step with modern society.

Therefore, I’m not saying I’ll never ever own a device like the Kindle; I’m just saying that I just can’t see the point—today.

Can you see yourself reading a book on a Kindle? Or, listening to one on an MP3 player? I’d love to hear your responses.

Thanks for stopping by. See you next week.

Jane Kennedy Sutton
Author of The Ride (to be released by ArcheBooks Publishing)
janekennedysutton@gmail.com
http://janekennedysutton.googlepages.com/

Tags: The Ride, Archebooks, eBook, A Prophecy Forgotten , Kindle, Michelle Weston

1 comment:

George said...

Alloo! I've a blog on Modern Technology as well! Come check it out:

http://www.geopelham.blogspot.com/

Jane's Ride - Novelist Jane Kennedy Sutton's journey through the ups and downs of the writing, publishing and marketing world