Friday, December 28, 2007

The Thirteenth Tale

When I read a book I seem to read it with my eyes only, but now and then I come across a passage, perhaps only a phrase, which has a meaning for me, and it becomes part of me.” –W. Somerset Maugham

I love it when the above happens to me and it happened several times recently while reading Diane Setterfield’s, The Thirteenth Tale. I enjoyed it so much I had to pass the word along in case you’ve not read it yet. It’s a book about a book lover, obviously written by a lover of books. The unusual plot involves secrets, intrigue, mystery and ghosts.

I enjoyed Diane’s writing style and thought she had some wonderful insights that she worded so well. Such as “…She was a do-gooder, which means that all the ill she did, she did without realizing it…” or”…But in her disease was a distillation: the more it reduced her, the more it exposed her essence…”

The web site http://www.thethirteenthtale.com/ is well done and fun to visit too.

The entries are still coming in—thank you all so much for turning my idea into a successful contest. I can’t wait to see who wins.

For those that may not know about the contest, the rules are easy. Simply email me at janekennedysutton@gmail.com with your guess as to the month, day and year that The Ride will actually be released (one guess per person, please). The first received, nearest guess will be declared the winner and awarded a personalized signed copy of The Ride (once it’s published, of course). The contest ends on January 18th so send your entry soon. Read http://janekennedysutton.blogspot.com/2007/12/exciting-new-contest.html for more information.

Wishing you all a prosperous, healthy and happy New Year.

Jane Kennedy Sutton
Author of The Ride (to be released by ArcheBooks Publishing)
janekennedysutton@gmail.com
http://janekennedysutton.googlepages.com/
http://www.authorsden.com/janesutton


Tags: The Ride, Archebooks, contest, The Thirteenth Tale, Diane Setterfield, Somerset Maugham

No comments:

Jane's Ride - Novelist Jane Kennedy Sutton's journey through the ups and downs of the writing, publishing and marketing world