Friday, January 11, 2008

Language of the Internet

I worry about technology; I can’t help it. I mean I love computers but I worry that they, along with cell phones, are changing the language of communication. And, I am not good at learning languages. In fact, I’m not all that great with English.

Living overseas I tried learning various languages (Mandarin, Korean, Dutch, Italian and Arabic). I managed to learn just enough to get me in trouble. For example, while living in Taiwan, I thought our Landlord had come to invite us to his mother’s 76th birthday party. I smiled, said yes and offered my congratulations. Imagine my horror the following day when I discovered the invite was to her funeral. It’s a wonder we weren’t evicted.

Recently, when my sister insisted (because she was driving) that I send a text message to her husband, I tried to explain that I don’t do ‘text.’ However, she walked me through it anyway. Although the message consisted of a simple “ok,” I felt the pride of succeeding at a new endeavor.

I’ve practiced and now I think I am ready to present my blog in “text speak.”
GTSY (glad to see you) but I’m going to tell you FMTYEWTK (far more than you ever wanted to know). IRL (in real life), ITSFWI (if the shoe fits wear it). ICBW (I could be wrong) but I believe you should also buy it in every color. Now I hear you saying AYTMTB (and you’re telling me this because)? And the answer is, you should ALOTBSOL (always look on the bright side of life).

I know that makes no sense (just like the other languages I’ve attempted). But at http://www.netlingo.com/, much to my horror, I found over 30 pages of this text message shorthand, and realize this is one more language I can mess up. But check it out and maybe you can write your next novel in only a few pages.

I, on the other hand, will say this about the English language, IIABDFI (if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it) and from now on this blog will be an AFZ (acronym free zone).

Only one week remains for you to send your entry to the “when will The Ride be released” contest. Simply be the first to guess the date nearest to the actual release date and win a personalized signed copy of The Ride. See http://janekennedysutton.blogspot.com/2007/12/exciting-new-contest.html for more details.

Thanks for stopping by. See you next week.

Jane Kennedy Sutton
Author of The Ride (to be released by ArcheBooks Publishing)
janekennedysutton@gmail.com
http://janekennedysutton.googlepages.com/
http://www.authorsden.com/janesutton

Tags: The Ride, Archebooks, contest, acronyms, netlingo,

No comments:

Jane's Ride - Novelist Jane Kennedy Sutton's journey through the ups and downs of the writing, publishing and marketing world